Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Caleb's Delivery Story

Well, if you would have asked me if I would have a baby boy sleeping in my living room tonight one week ago I probably would have said no. But SURPRISE! As we all thought he would, Caleb arrived early! Even earlier than we thought he would. Want to know why? Here's the story:

Matt and I went to what turned out to be my last OB appointment last Wednesday. The doc performed a sonogram which revealed Caleb was not growing as much as he "should" be. GO FIGURE. Apparently, our sonogram 3 weeks prior put Caleb in the 25th percentile in size. Over 3 weeks, he had dropped down to the 10th percentile. This was enough reason for doc to say, "Guys. I think we need to deliver Caleb early". 
"Early?" I said. "Like, this weekend?"
Doc said, "Uh. No. Like tomorrow morning, first thing."
Que Matt's Freakout Face!
My parents were at this appointment with us. Dad was sitting behind me when Doc made the announcement. When she said we were going to deliver the next day, I could feel him light up with excitement behind me. "Did you just say tomorrow?! Oh my gosh!"
Needless to say, we were all excited. The excitement was reflected differently between each of us. Dad couldn't stop smiling. Mom wanted to immediately spread the news (understandably), and Matt couldn't stop talking and flayling his hands in the air like a crazy person. Me - I couldn't stop thinking about how unprepared we were. We had lots to do in one day, that we had planned to get done with at least one week's time. I was calm on the outside and panicking in the inside. "OMG! We're going to be parents tomorrow!"
So, Matt and I went back to work, spread the news and ran around like crazy people trying to get everything done that we possibly could. Then it was time to go home and get ready for a long labor day. That night was spent pacing around the house gathering necessities, and getting the house ready for a baby to be in it. Who knew that this would take HOURS?! Funny, because the Doc said to make sure that we got plenty of rest tonight. Pshh. Yeah. Right. So much to do, so little time, and we had to be at the hospital at 5:30am. Needless to say, Matt and I got NO SLEEP.
So, adrenaline pumping, Matt and I jump in the car around five o'clock in the morning and head to the hospital. Of course, we posted the momentous occasion on Facebook. This is when I realized that Matt has got a lot of friends and family that are up at this ridiculous hour on a regular basis. We had people congratulating us and wishing us luck within minutes! Of course, everyong asking for pictures as soon as the baby arrives. This is when it all set in for me. "OMG! We will be able to take pictures of our son and see what he looks like today!"
We arrive at the hospital, and are later joined by family. After a few hours of labor, it was finally time to start pushing. Matt, my sis and my mom joined me in the delivery room. It was an awesome experience. Matt and Jenn pretty much delivered Caleb. I loved that. Mom was in the background to document the whole thing.

Now, Caleb is is here. He is healthy. And Matt and I are already in love. He was born September 16, 2010 at 2:59 PM. He was 6 pounds 3 ounces and 18.5 inches long. We couldn't be more smitten.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment